7 Tips For Choosing The Best Heated Mattress Pad
Purchasing a heated mattress pad looks like something very easy that you will not have to put in a lot of effort to accomplish. However, this is not true because there is a huge difference between purchasing one and finding the best one.
Top 3 Best Heated Mattress Pad Reviews 2018
1. Sunbeam Vertical Quilted Heated Mattress Pad with ComfortTech Controller
Features and Benefits
- Modern Controller: If you are looking for a best heated mattress pad with some advanced controls this is what you need to buy. The others that I have used have some excellent controls, but few of them have a digital display and some soft push buttons that will make life easy for you.
- Maintenance: I cannot overemphasize the importance of considering cleaning and maintenance when shopping for a mattress pad. From my experiences, I know that this can be a deal breaker because if you cannot clean you might have to get rid of it. And so the machine washable feature of this mattress pad is a significant advantage.
- Auto-Off: Just like most other advanced heated mattress pads that I have tried out this one also allows you to choose from ten heat settings. It also has an auto-off feature that will make sure that it does not overheat your bed.
- Pre-heating: Nothings beats the feeling that I get when I get into a bed that is already warm. With this pad, you get to enjoy this, and all you need to do is to switch it on a few minutes before you go to bed and it will pre-heat your sheets to a cozy temperature.
- Dual Zone Control: The dual temperature control is one of the things that any heated mattress pad that I buy must have as it makes life convenient. And so the fact that this one has this feature means that it is a perfect buy because it will allow you to enjoy a comfortable sleep without interfering with your partner's comfort.
- You can use it to preheat the bed.
- Sunbeam Vertical Quilted Heated Mattress Pad has an auto shut off feature.
- This pad lets you choose from ten temperature levels.
- The digital display and push buttons make control easy.
- It is dryer safe and washable by machine.
- Price is fair when you compare it to others.
- Dual temperature control is perfect for couples.
- The pad plug-in at the bottom means you cannot tuck in your sheets or blankets.
- You can feel the heating box with your legs when sleeping.
- Fabric deteriorates after a couple of washes.
- This unit also has a slight hum.
- It would be better with a few additional settings for low temperature.
2. Sunbeam Quilted Polyester Heated Mattress Pad with EasySet Pro Controller
Features and Benefits
- ThermoFine Technology: My biggest problem with the heated mattress pads that I have been using over the years is their inability to keep the heat consistent. However, this one from Sunbeam solves this using their ThermoFine Technology that helps to ensure that you always get consistent warmth.
- Auto Shut Off: I always forget to switch off my heated mattress pad and am sure am not alone on this. It can be annoying when I have to wake up in the middle of the night because the heat is too much. This Quilted Polyester pad has an auto shut off feature that will ensure that it does not warm your bed for more than 10 hours and so you will never have to wake up in the middle of the night.
- Dual Zone Control: I love the fact that this fantastic pad gives me the freedom to have two different temperatures in the same bed. What I love about this is that I can make my side of the bed as warm as I wish while my partner can keep the other side cool. The dual zone control is an excellent feature because it will ensure that couples can share their bed comfortably.
- Temperature Setting: You can choose from ten different temperature settings when using this pad. Most others that I have tried in the past will not give you this freedom. In fact, most will only let you vary between two or three temperature levels and so this is a significant advantage.
- Cleaning/Maintenance: One of the first things that I always consider when shopping for a heated mattress pad is cleaning and maintenance, and this is because I once had to throw away an expensive pad because I could not clean it. However, this one makes things easy because it is machine washable and it is also dryer safe.
- Sunbeam Quilted Polyester Heated Mattress Pad allows for dual zone temperature control.
- This pad is available for most bed sizes.
- There is an auto shut feature.
- Machine washable for easy maintenance.
- You can’t feel the wires.
- It has an impressive ten heat level settings.
- Uses ThermoFine Technology.
- Sometimes it does not warm the entire bed.
- It makes a faint buzzing sound.
- Controls look cheap.
- The cord is quite short.
- Temperature controller will not sit flat on a nightstand.
3. Soft Heat Micro-Plush Top Low-Voltage Electric Heated Mattress Pad
Features and Benefits
- Material: Material matters a lot when buying a heated pad and you should never overlook it. The ultra-soft and Micro-Velour fabric makes this pad perfect for anyone who values a comfortable and warm sleep. I also like this material because it will warm the body and it also has a rejuvenating effect.
- Care and Maintenance: This lovely queen mattress pad is machine washable and dryable, and this is one of the things I love most about it. With this pad, you will never have to worry about the accidental spills because you can get rid of them effortlessly.
- Safety: I have tried out many mattress pads and safeness is one of the things that most manufacturers tend to ignore. What I like about the Micro-Plush from Soft heat is that it is not just warm but also very safe because of the patented non-hazardous low voltage tech.
- Dual Temperature: I love the dual temperature control feature as it not only makes the pad comfortable, but it also makes things convenient and easy for couples. This pad has two separate temperature zones with dual lighted controls to ensure that each person can adjust the temperature to what he or she finds most comfortable.
- Auto Shut Off: Most of us hate having to wake up in the middle of the night to switch off the heated pad because it interferes with the sleep cycle. If I have to wake up even for a few minutes, I will end up feeling tired in the morning. This pad makes sure that you do not have to go through this because it has an auto shut off that ensures convenience, energy savings, and safety.
- Micro-Plush heats very evenly.
- The heating wires are smaller than what you find in most others.
- It is machine washable and dryable.
- The fabrics are soft and do not shed or pill.
- Wire connectors are on the skirt and not the sleeping surface.
- This pad has dual temperature control.
- Controls are very easy to use.
- It is a low voltage machine.
- This pad is quite expensive.
- The power supply has a high pitch humming.
- It produces less heat than other advanced brands.
- You may need to plug in two transformers.
- The company’s customer service needs some improvement.
Things To Consider When Buying The Best Heated Mattress Pad
There are several things that you have to take into consideration to ensure that you buy the best heated mattress pad. Mattress pads come in a variety of designs, and features and so it is important to know how to choose from the many types available. But, this should not be a problem with the following tips in mind. We also have buying guide about Best Cooling Mattress Pad if you want to take a look.
Softness And Comfort Are Vital
Comfort is the main reason that most people buy mattress pads, and so the best one should guarantee you maximum comfort. It should strike the right balance between softness and comfort because this is what will make it work for you.
However, don't just buy something because your friends tell you it is perfect for them because what is comfortable for one person might not necessarily be for the next one. The material of the pad is what determines how comfortable it will be, and you have the option to choose from those that mold to the shape of your body such as memory foam and latex or soft natural materials like cotton.
Safety Always Comes First
Safety should always be your number one concern when shopping for heated mattress pads because they can pose a significant danger. Always look on the label to ensure that it meets all the safety standards set by the government such as the UL964 standards.
It is also important to give the pad a physicals inspection of the heating system and try to identify if it poses any dangers and if it has any features to keep you safe. If you do not feel that the pad is safe for you, the best thing is to avoid it.
Temperature control is a vital factor that you should always consider when buying the electric matters pad as it is what determines if you will enjoy it or not. The best electric mattress pad should not only give you’re the capability of controlling temperature but should also make it easy for you.
Whether the system uses a knob or a digital control, everything should be straightforward so that everybody including the first timers can be able to figure out things within a short time.
It is also important to think of the user’s ability before purchasing the pad as this is what determines how convenient it will be. For example, if you have poor eyesight you should always go for something with large numbers as this will make it easy for you to control the temperature.
Quality And Durability Are Essential
Heated pads are not as expensive as a new mattress, but this does not mean that they should not be quality. The best mattress pad should be top notch quality to ensure that it will serve you for many years before you have to replace it.
When it comes to quality, the material matters a lot and so you should make sure that you know the qualities of the different pad materials such as latex, foam, and cotton. Also not that each of these materials has some advantages and disadvantages that you should know about before you make your decision.
However, the manufacturer also determines whether the pad will be high quality and durable or not. And so as you look for the most durable pad it is important to go for those from reputable companies as they are likely to last longer than those from unknown or foreign manufacturers.
Ease Of Cleaning/ Moving
Contrary to what some people might think heated mattress pads also need some cleaning. However, this can be a tedious task for some pads because of the electric elements.
If you cannot be able to clean it, then you can expect your bed to be filthy after some time. Some manufacturers make their pads waterproof, and so you will only need to wipe them with a damp cloth for cleaning.
Even if the pad is not waterproof, a good manufacturer should have some recommendation on the label that will make cleaning easy for customers. You may also want to move it from one room to the other or when relocating and so it should also be easy to move. The weight and the ease of folding the pad are what will determine how easy it will be to move or pack it.
Special Features Are An Added Advantage
Some heated mattress pads will always have a few extra features, and this is what makes them unique. They may include things such as auto shut, multiple heat levels, timers and personalization options.
Although some of the features may not look significant, they are also an important thing to consider when shopping for a mattress pad because they will give it some extra comfort. It is important also to note that the additional features can also mean that the heated pad will be more expensive than those without the features.
Consider The Price
Electric mattress toppers can cost as little as 30 dollars or as high as thousands of dollars and so you can never overlook the price when shopping for one.
There is a common notion that the best electric mattress pad is the one that costs a lot of cash. It is true that you have to part with a lot of money to get something quality, but you can still find something that will serve you well without spending a lot of cash.
The most important thing is to work within your budget because you cannot buy what you can't afford. Always go for something that meets your needs while also saving you some cash.
You do not have to buy the most expensive mattress to enjoy a good night sleep. A heated pad that costs way much less is as comfortable if not more comfortable than your expensive mattress. However, you have to buy the best heated mattress pad if you want to enjoy all the benefits that come with it. With the seven helpful tips above in mind, this should not be a problem and if you take some time to compare between different brands you can be sure of having the best sleep each night.