Best Mattress For Heavy People – Buying Guide & Reviews 2017
Everybody needs to get some sleep every night because it is the time that the body gets to recover from the activities of the day, and the cells also get to repair. However, how you sleep is also crucial, and it determines the amount and quality of rest that you get.
The mattress is one of the fundamental factors that influence the quality of sleep that you get. Finding the right one is always a daunting task, but things are even harder for heavy or overweight people.
Obese people have different requirements when it comes to the mattress and so what works for lighter individuals might not be ideal for them. Luckily, most mattress manufacturers understand this, and so they will always make appropriate ones for overweight people. And so if you are overweight you only need to know what to look for in the best mattress for heavy people.
Common Problems With Your Mattress When You Are Heavy Or Overweight
Most obese people will not put much thought in their weight when shopping for a mattress, and so they will only go for something that they like. However, this is never a good idea, and it is the reason why most face the following mattress problems.
Sagging is the most common issue that overweight individuals will have to face if they do not choose the right mattress. It is whereby it sinks in as a result of their weight and hence making in even more uncomfortable and reducing its lifespan.
Most regular mattresses are for individuals that are less than 200 pounds and so if you are heavier than this is cannot support your weight which is what leads to sagging.
Most overweight people tend to sweat more than the lighter individuals and so sleeping on the wrong mattress always results to overheating.
Even if the mattress has enough ventilation and is very breathable, it is not designed to accommodate the increased pressure from the heavy weight, and so it will not keep you cool.
Adverse Health Impact To Your Health
You cannot sleep well on a mattress that keeps sinking or sagging when you lay in it. And this will not only make you feel tired in the morning, but it can also result in serious problems such as insomnia or increase your risk of getting heart diseases and also make you gain even more weight.
The extra pounds mean that if an obese or overweight person sleeps on the wrong mattress, it will sink a lot. This sinking is not only very uncomfortable, but it may make it hard for him/her to get out of bed. With your heavy weight, you will be going through a lot of struggle just to get out of bed in the morning which you can avoid by buying the right mattress for your weight.
Top 5 Best Mattress For Heavy People 2017
1. Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress
Zinus makes this mattress not only to ensure that overweight people get a comfortable sleep but also that they will not need to buy another one for a long time. The company uses green tea infusion to ensure that it stays fresh for long.
This mattress features four different layers which are memory foam (3 inches), comfort foam (2 inches), High-density foam (3.5 inches), and high-density support base (3.5 inches).
This memory foam mattress also includes an infusion of castor natural seed oil that contributes to keeping bacteria and odor out. And it is a CertiPUR product, and so you can be sure of maximum durability and comfort. The knitted jacquard cover is soft, comfortable and also very easy to clean and maintain.
You do not have to worry about paying expensive shipping fees when buying this mattress since the company compresses and rolls it for efficient delivery. Also, Zinus will back it with a 10-year warranty to ensure that you get worry-free ownership.
- This Zinus mattress will offer great overall support including on the edges.
- The design and layers provide fantastic air circulation.
- Green tea infusion ensures that it will stay fresh for longer.
- It will always maintain a proper spinal alignment.
- The soft cover makes it easy to maintain.
- This mattress is available in seven different sizes.
- It also includes a memory foam layer that will always conform to your body shape.
- Zinus Memory Foam mattress can be too soft for the back sleepers.
- This mattress will come with a strong initial odor.
2. Ultimate SleepOver Weight Bariatric Mattress Specially Designed for Heavy People 300 - 400 lbs with Talalay Latex
The Comfort Max 400 is the best mattress for heavy people that are between 300 and 400 pounds. The company makes each according to the order, and so you can always be confident of getting something that conforms to your weight/size and preferences.
This mattress comprises of two layers which are the Talalay latex foam that is at the top (5 inches) and the sturdy base foam which is also 5 inches thick.
The edges of this mattress have some reinforcements to prevent it from sinking when getting out of bed and so you should not worry about it sagging on one side.
With Ultimate SleepOver Weight Bariatric handcrafted mattress, you will be sleeping on a naturally anti-microbial surface that is also mold-proof, mite-poof and pest free. Also, you can get this mattress for five different bed sizes, and the company offers a 10-year warranty.
- Can support individuals that are up to 400 pounds heavy.
- These mattresses are customizable to meet the buyer’s individual needs.
- The Talalay latex is very supportive, and it offers superior comfort.
- This mattress is naturally anti-microbial and also pest free.
- You can get it for five different bed sizes.
- It is also a mold and mite-proof mattress.
- The manufacturer will also provide a 10-year warranty.
- It might be too firm for individuals with small bodies.
- This Ultimate Sleep mattress is quite weighty, and so it might be hard to handle.
- The outer cover is prone to staining.
3. DynastyMattress Cool Breeze 12-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Dynasty Mattress is a famous company for making some of the best mattresses for obese and overweight individuals. Their New Cool Breeze uses the latest memory foam technology to create a firm and comfortable sleeping surface for all overweight people.
It features a multi-layered design that includes gel foam (3 inches), Cool Airflow foam (4 inches), and high-density foam (5-inches) as the supporting base.
Apart from being very supportive this mattress also remains cool to ensure that you get the best sleep. The luxurious outer cover is also an excellent addition, and it also has some beautiful suede brown section on the corners.
This mattress is also CertiPUR certified, and so you can be sure of a high-quality construction and durability. When you buy it, you get a 120-day free trial and an impressive 30-year warranty.
- Durable and high-quality 4-layer construction.
- Luxurious and attractive cover with brown suede on the corners.
- The cover also includes a zipper, and it is washable.
- CertiPUR certified product.
- 4-inch airflow foam keeps it cool throughout the night.
- This Gel Memory Foam mattress comes with a complimentary pillow set.
- DynastyMattress Cool Breeze takes some time to get used to the firmness.
- This mattress will have a slight odor when you get it.
4. Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-inch Memory Foam Mattress
If you are on the market for the best mattress for obese people and do not have a lot of money to spend this one by Sleep Innovations is an excellent pick for you.
It features a DuoComfort design that consists of a SureTemp memory foam (2 inches) and a high-density support foam (9.5 inches). And it is also equipped with the open-cell technology for maximum air circulation.
This medium firmness mattress is a perfect choice for side sleepers since it promotes proper alignment and encourages relaxation.
It has a poly-cotton cover which gives it a perfect combination of convenience and comfort as it is quite easy to clean. Also, it is hypoallergenic, and it has an anti-mite technology to ensure that even people with allergies can use it. And the company provides a 20-year warranty.
- Sleep Innovations Shiloh mattress is ideal for any sleep position and also for those that toss and turn a lot.
- This memory foam mattress is perfect for both average and large bodied individuals.
- It provides personalized alignment and pressure point relief.
- The mattress also includes a soft poly-cotton cover.
- It is available in five sizes.
- For an overweight person mattress, it is quite cheap.
- Open-cell technology provides excellent air circulation.
- The cover is not removable for washing.
- It is quite a heavy mattress, and you need help to move it.
- This mattress can get hot when the room temperature is high.
- At first, it will have a memory foam odor.
5. LUCID 16 Inch Plush Memory Foam and Latex Mattress
LUCID makes this as a 16-inch thick mattress that can take almost any weight. It consists of 4 layers with the top one being bamboo charcoal memory foam (1-inch). This layer is also hypoallergenic and is also very friendly to the skin.
For the support, you get a layer of gel memory foam and natural latex that also offer some pressure relief to alleviate, back, neck and shoulder pain. The other layer is the base which is sturdy and durable high-density foam.
With this mattress, you can use an ordinary bed frame and so you will not need to buy a new one. It also comes with a soft and breathable TENCEL blend cover that is quilted with bamboo charcoal/memory foam to create a breathable mattress surface.
The mattress is rolled and compressed when you get and hence easy to setup. And the manufacturer backs this CertiPUR-US certified mattress with a 25-year warranty.
- Memory foam and latex layers provide support and are also helpful for pressure relief.
- Open cell technology ensures that there are no lasting body impressions.
- The TENCEL blend cover is very breathable.
- Bamboo charcoal provides excellent thermal regulation and is perfect for sensitive skin.
- The latex and memory foam is naturally resistant to dust mites and allergens.
- Vacuum packing makes shipping and setup easy and convenient.
- Like most other mattresses the odor takes some time to dissipate.
- The 16-inch height means that your regular sheets might be too small.
- It is a heavy mattress
Important Features Of the Best Mattress For Heavy People
Research shows that more than 2 billion people in the world are overweight which means that there is a lot of demand for mattresses to cater for them. However, getting the right one for you will require you to keep the following important features in mind.
The material is one of the first factors that you should always consider when shopping for the best mattress for obese individuals. And this is because it will affect all the other factors including the price and breathability.
Those that use cotton for the cover create a soft and comfortable sleeping surface, but there are still many other options available including a blend of cotton and other material like polyester. The actual mattress material is also vital because it determines the level of support that the mattress can provide.
Overweight people will exact more pressure on the mattress than the lighter ones, and so it is important for them to go for something that is thick enough to withstand this pressure. The ideal thickness for overweight individuals should be at least 10 inches, but 12 inches is even better.
Most manufacturers will split this thickness into two sections which are the base or platform and the comfort layer. The bottom layer is in most instances high-density foam while most manufacturers will make the top layer with latex or memory foam to enhance the comfort.
Most mattresses will come in three firmness options which are firm, medium and soft. The best mattress for overweight people should have a medium firmness because this provides sufficient support and also ensures correct alignment of the back and neck. However, if you are overweight and also have a back problem, a firm mattress might be the right option for you.
The kind of mattress is another factor that will affect almost all the others, and so you have to be very keen with this when making your pick. Also, knowing the different types available and their features will make your choice easy.
- Memory Foam: Memory foam makes a wise mattress choice for heavy people because it molds around the shape of their body for maximum comfort. Going for a gel memory foam mattress is also a good idea as it is more breathable than viscoelastic.
- Latex: Latex mattresses are very durable and are also more breathable than most other types. Ventilation and durability are two of the most important features of the best mattresses for overweight people and the fact that latex has both makes it an excellent choice. Also, latex is springy in nature which makes changing position and moving around easy.
- Innerspring: Innerspring mattresses are another type that works well for obese people as it provides proper ventilation and edge support. However, these mattresses are not as durable as the latex or memory foam, and they also become noisy after some time.
Edge support is one of the factors that most people tend to overlook when shopping for a mattress but it is an essential factor, especially for overweight people.
A good edge support will ensure that the mattress does not collapse when sitting on it despite your weight. Most people like sitting on the fringe of their bed which is what makes this an important feature.
Sleeping hot is among the most common issues that obese people complain about, and so when choosing your mattress, you should keep this in mind. This issue is a result of mattresses that do not provide enough ventilation or allow for smooth breathing.
Latex and the innerspring are the best options if you do not want to keep waking up as a result of getting hot because they absorb the heat so that the mattress remains cool.
Read more: How To Choose The Best Latex Pillow
Price is always an important factor when shopping for the best mattress for obese individuals. However, it is vital to remember that you will always get what you pay for and so the cheaper the mattress, the lesser the quality and the faster it will wear out. And so the right idea is to shop for the best quality mattress for an overweight person and look for the best prices and discounts.
The right mattress will always make a significant difference for obese people, and this is not only during sleep time but also for their overall health. By considering the factors above you should not have any trouble finding something comfortable and supportive enough. Also, shopping around and comparing prices and features will help you get the best from the many options in the market.