7 Herbal Teas To Get Better Sleep – The Best Tea For Sleep
Tea is the kind of beverage that has an instant energizing and mood boosting effect on your body. A cup of tea in the morning will help you start the day with high spirits, and so you are more likely to be productive than when you do not take it.
But, herbal tea can also make you sleep better, and different studies prove that a high percentage of people that take a cup of tea before bed will have a more restful sleep than those that do not. There are also many other benefits that the herbs have on your body and so it is an excellent idea to make the herbal tea part of your daily routine before going to bed.
Top 3 Best Tea For Sleep Reviews 2018
1. Yogi Teas Bedtime
Nothing beats a warm cup of tea after a long and tiring day, and this is more so if it is a sweet herbal one like the Yogi. It does not contain any nicotine or sweeteners, and all the ingredients are natural.
In fact, this tea contains almost all the best sleep enhancing herbs. The calming effect that one gets after a small cup is amazing, and it is almost instant meaning you can take it a few minutes before bed and still benefit from all its good qualities.
As if the stress relieving and calming effects are not enough it also affordable, and there are plenty of bags in the pack meaning it will be a while before you need to buy another one.
Things I Liked
- The natural sweetness is fantastic, and I like it because it helps me avoid sugary drinks like soda.
- This bedtime tea has an almost instant calming effect, and this is why I must take a cup daily.
- It is one of the nighttime drinks that are very useful in helping one sleep and remain so for many hours.
- I love the fact that it is affordable and there are plenty of tea bags in the pack which gives me some value for my cash.
- The fact that it is free of caffeine makes me want to drink it even during the day for its calming effects.
Things I Didn't Like
- I do not like the barley malt taste as it leaves my mouth with an aftertaste.
- Although I am tolerant to gluten, I hate the fact that you cannot share it with family or friends that are gluten intolerant.
- The smell requires some getting used to as it is quite unusual.
2. Stash Tea Chamomile Nights Herbal Tea
The pack of 100 counts offers one of the best values that you will find anywhere when shopping for the best tea for sleep. And so, if you take plenty of bedtime tea and are shopping on a budget this is the right tea for you.
Stash Tea Chamomile Nights Herbal Tea is sweet enough even without adding honey or sugar, and it has a mellow taste that comes from combining chamomile with lotus leaves and spearmint. This caffeine free tea also has licorice flavor which might not be most people's favorite but it is still an excellent addition according to many others. You can take it when it is either iced or hot, and it has the right balance of flavors.
Things I Liked
- I love the idea that a small cup is enough to make me relax and fall asleep fast.
- Unlike most other bedtime teas I can have it as either iced or hot.
- It is a local USA blend but with ingredients from different parts of the world.
- The way the licorice taste dances in the mouth is just brilliant.
- One does not need to add any sugar or sweeteners as it is already sweet enough.
- There are plenty of tea bags in the box for one to enjoy the bedtime tea for quite some time.
- All the flavors have a perfect balance.
Things I Didn't Like
- It is not as potent as other brands that I have tasted.
- The tea is calming, but the effects take quite some time to kick in.
3. ROOIBOS ROCKS 100 South African Red Bush Natural Organic Unbleached Tea Bags
This South African bedtime beverage is a blend of 100% organic ingredients, and it is highly abundant in health-boosting benefits. It is a full-bodied and sweet tea without any caffeine, but the vibrant ruby color and earthy flavor are what makes it unique.
This bedtime drink does not have any bitter aftertaste and the numerous health benefits make it ideal for nursing mothers and pregnant ladies, and kids will also love it. And so anyone looking for the best teas for sleep should try this fantastic South African blend as it almost never disappoints.
Things I Liked
- This ROOIBOS ROCKS tea is full of powerful antioxidants which are perfect for boosting immunity.
- The calming and relaxing effects of this tea are hard to compare with anything else.
- I like the taste as it is just perfect (not too sweet).
- This tea is calorie free, and so I do not have to worry about weight gain when taking it.
- The ruby color and earthy flavor gives this bedtime tea a unique feel.
- It is a satisfying beverage without any aftertaste at all.
- There are no preservatives or nasty additives.
Things I Didn't Like
- The tea bags have little content, and so in most instances, you have to use more than one.
- I do not like the fact that the tea bags do not come with strings.
- It does not come in a variety of flavors in case you want to change or try something different
Benefits Of Drinking Herbal Tea Before Bed
The benefit or advantage of drinking herbal tea before sleep is a topic that still requires a lot of research. However, the lack of enough information does not mean that they are not beneficial or useful in aiding sleep. Most people that take a cup of this tea every night will enjoy the following and many other benefits.
Hydration and Immune Boosting
Tea has several bioactive compounds, polyphenols, and antioxidants which are very effective in boosting immunity and reducing the risk of getting dangerous diseases such as cancer and Parkinson's. The largest portion of this herbal drink is water, and so it will also ensure that your body remains hydrated even as you sleep.
Green or herbal tea has some relaxing agents that will help sooth your nerves. Soothing your nerves will make you feel relaxed, and so you are more likely to get a good night sleep. This tea also lifts your spirits and warms you up which are both essential for a restful sleep.
Clearing Of Waste
Best tea for sleep will stimulate the movement of bowel and hence ensure that waste does not spend a lot of time in your body. It is important to keep in mind that the more the time the waste spends on the body, the more the toxins that it releases. A cup after a meal and before bed is perfect in ensuring that waste spends minimal time in your body.
Aiding In Digestion
If indigestion and heartburn are always keeping you awake, a cup of tea before bed might have all the solutions that you need. Research by the Medical Center at the University of Maryland shows that some herbs like peppermint will calm the muscles and also improve the flow of bile in the stomach meaning food passes through fast. These herbs also help to relieve heartburn symptoms such as acid reflux.
Improves Blood Flow
A cup of best tea for sleep will do wonders for your blood circulation. Oxygen and all the nutrients travel through the blood, and so improvement in the flow means that your body will get these vital things and in the right quantity. And so this means that herbal tea will also improve your overall health.
Seven Herbal Teas To Get Better Sleep
There are dozens of herbal teas that you can make, and people from different societies have varying preferences. Whereas most of them are very beneficial for sleep there are some that seem to appeal to most people and they are also considered the most effective in aiding sleep. The following seven are some of the popular and also widely available sleep supporting teas.
Valerian is an ingredient for dozens of medicine including many sleeping aids, and this is enough proof that it is an excellent idea to drink it before bed. You should use it with other herbs and it comes from the root of the flower, unlike others that originate from the leaves. However, you will need to drink it consistently and regularly to realize its many excellent benefits.
2. Magnolia Bark
Magnolia bark is very common in Asia and people use it to treat different conditions including nervous disorder and anxiety. It is also full of sleep inducing elements that can be very beneficial to people that have a hard time sleeping. A 2012 study shows that magnolol, the main bioactive component on this herb, is very useful in helping mice sleep for long, and so one can expect it to have the same effect on humans.
3. Chamomile Tea
Drying and brewing chamomile leaves should not be a problem as it is very easy. Chamomile has a nice taste and different studies prove that it has several health benefits and an impressive calming effect, and this makes it an excellent option for your cup of tea before bedtime.
4. Lavender Tea
Lavender tea is famous for its anti-stress properties, and it also relaxes the mind. Stress is one of the main things that prevent people from enjoying a restful sleep, and so if you can get rid of it, you will fall asleep fast when you are not tired. Lavender tea before bed will help a lot with this, and it is also easy to make.
5. Peppermint Tea
Peppermint is most people's favorite herbal tea, and this is not only because it is readily available but also because it is very effective in calming the internal systems. For many years people have been drinking it to for its energy boosting property and as relief for stomach issues, but it can also help calm the mind too. And so a cup of peppermint tea before bed will help you get a peaceful sleep.
6. Lemon Balm
Lemon balm might not be as famous or popular as other common herbs, but it is also very beneficial as a sleep aid. Just like most other herbs it relaxes the brain and this will, in turn, induce sleep.
7. Passion Flower
Passion flower is a unique herb that has always been used to treat anxiety and insomnia. It aids in the production of some types of chemicals in the brain that will reduce the action of various brain cells and hence calm your mind. It will also be helpful with symptoms of anxiety disorder, and this will also help you get good and enough sleep.
Many other herbal teas can help you sleep better but if you have other severe conditions such sleep apnea or insomnia you may not find them very useful. If you also have any other health issues, it is always a good idea to talk to your doctor before you start using the herbal teas. But, the good thing is that the herbal teas also have several other health benefits and almost no side effects at all.